Reflection One:
Monday 7th March, 2012
I observed C and T deep in conversation, walking
around exploring in the centre’s garden. Then T said this one, pointing to
pansy flowers in the garden, and C held up the centre’s digital camera and took
a photo of the pansy flowers. Then they both kept on walking until they reached
the vegetable garden, where C took photos of the lettuce and tomato plants.
I asked C and T, why they were taking photos of the
plants in the Garden? They both replied” they wanted to keep the plants, inside”.
I asked C and T, how are we going to keep the plants? According to Leekeenan
and Nimmo (1994),” found that involving the children in taking the photographs
was important to gain a sense of the children’s perspective on the world” as
citied in (MacNaugton & Williams, 2009, p303). C said by putting the photos on the computer. We
went inside and C and T looked at the photos they took on the camera and they
choose which photos they wanted to save on the computer. (This is recording C
and T own learning). T said can we print
them out and I said yes, but first I asked them if they could tell me about
their photos, and together we can write a story about their pictures off the
different plants. We then printed out the photos and hang them up on the wall
in the science area. “Children develop,
the ability to represent their discoveries, using creative and expressive media
and the technology associated with them” (Ministry of Education, 1996, p.88).
C and T are using their, imaginations, and are using
their communications skills recalling skills, problem solving skills, science
and technology skills.” There are many learning outcomes that focus on problem
solving and social science areas that are part of the process of technology” (
Smorti, 1999, p8). C and T are also using their communication skills and been
able to work with others. “As children’s abilities to communicate develop, they
are able to form good relationships with others and participate constructively
in a range of social and cultural settings” (Ministry of Education, 1996,
p.97).
The teaching I used was to listen, observe, encourage
the children, ask the children open ended questions and gave them the
opportunity to use technology. I was scaffolding the children in the direction
of technology as we made a learning story on the computer with the children’s
photos and their voice.” Information and communication technology (ICT) has a
major impact on the world in which young people live”
(Ministry of
Education, 2007. p.36).
C and T where very pleased with the photos they took
with the digital camera of the plants. I
extended on their learning and development on what they could do with the
photos they took of the plants. I let C
and T think independently, as they told their own story of their photos which
gave them more confidence in writing their learning story on the computer.
“As part of a world revolution in communication,
technology, work and leisure, children will need to develop confidence in
themselves and be able to continue acquiring new knowledge and skills” (Smorti,
1999, p.8).
When I was a child we did not have digital cameras and
computers that we could use in the classroom or in our everyday life. I feel
that having this technology, the children are learning more hands on with their
visual learning. The children are able to extend on their own learning with the
support of their teacher. I feel I need to extend my own learning on
technology, especially computers as I find them challenging sometimes. This
will help me to scaffold and support children in their learning. When I was a
child the teacher would instruct the children on the direction of the learning.
I would give the children more opportunities to extend
on their learning in the use of the computer and digital cameras. I would get
the children to take photos of what interests them in the centre. Encouraging
the children to tell their own story of the photos, then put their learning g
story into their portfolios. The learning stories can also be e mailed to the
children’s parents. This allows the children, parents of the children; family
and teachers re visit the children’s work.
Reference List:
MacNaughton, G., & Williams, G. (2009). Techniques for teaching young children:
Choices in theory and practice (3rd ed.). Frenchs Forrest, Australia: Pearson
Prentice Hall.
Choices in theory and practice (3rd ed.). Frenchs Forrest, Australia: Pearson
Prentice Hall.
Ministry of Education. (1996). Te Whāriki: He mātauranga mō ngā mokopuna o
Aotearoa: Early childhood curriculum. Wellington, New Zealand: Learning Media.
Aotearoa: Early childhood curriculum. Wellington, New Zealand: Learning Media.
Ministry
of Education. (2007).The New Zealand
Curriculum. Wellington, New Zealand:
Learning Media:
Learning Media:
Smort,
S. (1999). Technology in early childhood.
Early education, 1, 5-10).
I believe digital camera is really a good example of creative and expressive media and can be connected to technology in the area of early childhood curriculum. I like the way Denise encouraged children to explore their discoveries. Allowing children to use digital camera and print what they had taken is an awesome way to support children to develop the confidence and their own perspective on the world they live in. Like Denise, I also believe teachers should support children to extend their learning using technology. As Smorti (1999) claims that technology is “a creative and purposeful activity aimed at meeting needs and opportunities through the development of products, systems or environments” (p. 5). I think digital camera is really wonderful device children can easily use to enhance their visual learning. Also, Denise was willing to challenge herself in using computers to better support children’s learning on technology. I do agree teachers upgrade their knowledge and skills in computer operation so that we can scaffold their learning more effectively. Well done, Denise.
ReplyDeleteReference
Smorti, S. (1999). Technology in early childhood. Early Education, 1, 5-10.
The digital camera most certainly has many benefits for both teachers and children. Teachers get a sense of the child’s perspective of the world and children get opportunities to build their language and literacy skills. Photographs can encourage children to express themselves through oral and written language. Photographs can also be printed immediately and teachers can discuss what has happened almost as it happens (Mac Naughton & Williams, 2009). I like the idea of emailing parents learning stories. I’ve noticed that it’s easier for parents to read an email than to sit down and look through a portfolio. Have you considered that this can also be a great way of making connections with the child’s extended family members such as grandparents and aunts who live oversea? Like you, I also believe it is important for teachers to support and extend children’s learning about technology. This will prepare them for technology related jobs in the future (Ministry of Education, 1993). Tino pai for wanting to extend your learning about technology. Technology is such a major part of young children’s lives today and I think teachers need to set aside their fears and embrace it. According to Tsantis, Bewick & Thornton (2003), well prepared teachers who recognise the power and limitations of technology are urgently required. I think that if we’re not competent in this area, professional development in this area is vital. We need to educate the young children on the skills to use technology so they are informed citizens and we can only do this if we broaden our knowledge and skills base in this area (Smorti, 199).
ReplyDeleteIn your reflection, it was clear that the children were having fun with the digital camera and at the same time the camera was being used as a teaching tool. It is fantastic to see that the advent of digital cameras makes learning fun and it is our task as teacher to develop children’s love for learning. It appears to me that through this experience that you Denise, were not only the teacher but the learner also, this co-constructiveness helps consolidate and extend knowledge for all parties involved (Ministry of education, 1996). I believe the way that you extended this experience through making a learning story with the children allows them to develop a sense of pride, ownership and belonging at the same time introducing new technological skills and communication (Ministry of Education, 1996). Perhaps to extend this experience even further you could make a book out of the photographs they had taken which tells the story of how they wanted to keep the plants, which will forever remain a treasured resource to share. I see this as another way of bringing technological experiences such as; problem-solving, tools, purpose, skills and knowledge (Smorti, 1999). I admire the way you acknowledge your need to extend on your own technological learning and that you are taking steps to build on these skills. I feel that you are on the right track by forming a co-constructive relationship with the children by working together with technology (Couse & Chen, 2010). Ka pai Denise.
ReplyDeleteIt is great to see you have the confidence to provide children with opportunities to use the camera by themselves Denise! This allows children to strengthen their ability to take responsibility for their actions and learning, and gain strategies for actively exploring and making sense of their world (Ministry of Education, 1996). By offering the children the choice to extend on their photographs by writing a story, you are demonstrating to the children that you respect and value their ideas and achievements, and are fostering an opportunity for the children to build on their language and communication skills (Ministry of Education, 1996). With the use of technology, you are enabling the children to share their ideas with other peers, teachers, and family. Although you feel uncomfortable with using technology it is now embedded in many aspects of our children’s lives and as teachers we need to embrace it and provide opportunities for children to develop technological literacy as this will provide them with skills to participate in society as informed citizens and be equipped for technological jobs in the future (Ministry of Education, 1993). You can take the opportunities where children are engaging with technology, and learn alongside them, as learning is reciprocal!
ReplyDeleteTino pai Denise! Great reflection on children using the digital camera, I liked how you used your teaching strategies to support and enhance the children’s learning and development through the use of the digital camera. You stated that “involving the children in taking the photographs was important to gain a sense of the children’s perspective on the world” (MacNaughten & Williams, 2009, p.303). I totally agree with you and this statement because I truly believe that children are competent and capable individuals, and your experience sparked learning qualities such as thought, vision and imagination. Like you I agree that when children are looking through the digital camera they could see the world from a different view point (their own view of the world). A digital camera can be a passage for the child’s own creativity (Perry, n.d.). You mentioned children used their communication skills by collaborating with one another through the experience, I believe technology enhances the importance of life skills such as ‘communication’. When children use cameras they are called “young ethnographers” meaning they use cameras to record their visions and imagination, share and extend their learning experiences with their peers (The Australian association of mathematics teachers, 2011). Children become collaborative learners when they have the opportunities to discover and use such significant tools to support their learning. I like how you extended on the children’s learning by getting them to create a learning story on their experience, this supports children to be competent and capable individuals.
ReplyDeleteReference List:
Perry, M.(n.d.). Kids learning through digital cameras. Retrieved from: http://www.healthguidance.org/entry/11532/1/Kids-Learning-Through-Digital-Cameras.html
The Australian association of mathematics teachers. (2011). Step back and hand over the cameras! Retrieved from: http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Step+back+and+hand+over+the+cameras!+Using+digital+cameras+to...-a0266942910